Cavatelli and Sweet Italian Sausage
smoked bacon, fresh ricotta, basil
Paired with 2018 Charlie Clay Russian River Pinot Noir
- 1 lb dry cavatelli (or gemelli) pasta
- 1/4 pound diced smoked bacon
- 3/4 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp rough chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup Pinot Noir
- Fill a pot with 3 quarts of water. Add a tsp of salt, bring to a simmer.
- In a large skillet, place the bacon and start to render. Crumble sausage in pan along w/ bacon and its fat. Brown the sausage for 3-4 minutes.
Bring water to a boil, drop in pasta.
- Add the diced onion, dried basil, and pepper flakes to the sausage pan, continue cooking for 2 mins.
- Add Pinot Noir to sausage pan, turn down to simmer.
- Once pasta is al dente, drain slightly and add to the sausage pan. Cook together for 2-3 minutes with butter. (Note: add a bit of pasta water to create a sauce.)
- Once incorporated, spoon into serving bowls. Shave or sprinkle parmesan cheese over top.
- Grab your glass of pinot to enjoy with your pasta.